Happy Wednesday loves- I hope you’re having a good week so far! We have been at home laying low getting ready for N and Miss I’s birthday which is at the start of next month. We are also getting ready to kick off Junk Free June (more about that later!) which makes birthday month slightly more stressful as we I can’t eat anything delicious! I just need to keep reminding myself that its for a good cause.. so i’m cramming in as much Beer Bread as possible!
The nights are getting colder, soups and stews are going on the stove top and this goes Beer Bread goes bloody amazing with them. If you like a subtle malty beer flavour then you will absolutely love this. If you don’t… well, don’t knock it until you try it!
You can use this as you would “regular bread! We have two favourite ways to eat this- toasted with scrambled eggs or served on the side, buttered up with a bowl of hot soup or stew.
What you’ll need
– 470g plain flour
– 3 tsp baking powder
– 2 tsp sugar
– 1 tsp salt
– 1x 375ml bottle of beer (lager is best but a pilsner works just as good)
– 1/2 cup grated parmesan (more if desired)
– 1/2 red onion
– 1 Tbsp olive oil
* If you don’t like red onion, don’t worry! Anything goes with this. Nuts, bacon etc. Top it with whatever you want or not at all!
What to do
– Preheat oven to 175 degrees and line a loaf tin with baking paper.
– Sift flour, sugar, baking powder and salt into a bowl and mix.
– Add in your beer and mix until just combined. Pour mixture into the tin and top with your choose of tipping and a drizzle of olive oil
– Bake for 40 minutes or until skewer comes out clean when inserted. The loaf will sound hollow when tapped so thats also an indication that its ready!
– Slice when warm and add butter… its AMAZING!