Today marks the first weekend where we are FREE of our little skate business! I am so bloody excited that I had to bake this Olive Oil and Greek Yoghurt Cake with Lemon Syrup to celebrate the end of 4 years worth of stress and hard work!
I’m not going to lie, it’s been a bit of a struggle to get back in the kitchen after Nana passed away in July. Life feels a tad empty without her but I can hear her in the back of my mind telling me to “stop being so bloody ridiculous and just get on with it!” followed by her classic Nana laugh!
What better way to pick yourself up than with cake! This Olive Oil and Greek Yoghurt Cake with Lemon Syrup is a dense and lemony cake that goes bloody amazing with a hot cuppa- especially on these currently chilly evenings!
for the cake
– 3 eggs, at room temperature
– 1 cup caster sugar
– 2 lemons, juiced, plus 2 teaspoons finely grated lemon zest
– 2 cups self-raising flour
– 1 cup greek yoghurt, plus extra, to serve
– 125 mls good quality olive oil
for the lemon syrup
– 2 lemons
– 1/2 cup caster sugar
– 1/3 cup lemon juice
– greek yoghurt to serve
What to do
To make the cake
– Preheat your oven to 180c (160 fan force) and grease and line a large cake tin with baking paper.
– Grab a bowl and whisk together the eggs and sugar until pale and creamy. Add in the lemon juice and zest and give it a good whisk until it’s well combined.
– Sift in your self raising flour, add in your yoghurt and oil and stir until nice and smooth.
– Pour your cake mix into the tin, smooth it out and whack it in the oven for 45 minutes or until a skewer inserted into centre comes out clean.
While the cake is baking, you’re going to want to get cracking with the syrup. I prefer using it when its cooled slightly as its not as runny so won’t dribble all over the bench while your drizzling.
To make the syrup
– Peel your lemons and cut the zest into strips. These will be used to decorate your cake. Squeeze out 1/3 of a cup of lemon juice.
– Pop your zest in a pot of boiling water for 1 minute. Drain off the water and off the zest goes to the side. .
– Add your sugar, lemon juice and 2 tablespoons of water into the same pot (to save on dishes) and cook, stirring over a low to medium heat until the sugar dissolves. Let it simmer for about 3 minutes or until its thickened up.
– Remove from the heat and pop the zest back into the pot. Give it a wee stir and pop into a jug.
To finish it all off
– Once the cake is out of the oven, grab a skewer and poke wee holes over the top. Pour half of the syrup over the cake, letting it soak in before you pour more. Let the cake stand in the pan for 30 minutes.
– Pop the cake out of the pan and finish off with the remaining syrup.
– Slice it on up and serve! You can either have it as is or with a dollop of Greek yoghurt to dunk!
Have Snapchat? We would love for you to come hang with us over at @heylittlesweets or on Facebook and Instagram
Tags : CAKES