HAPPY SATURDAY!!! I hope you have all had a lovely week. Ours has been incredibly busy but I’m excited because this is our first weekend FREE of not having to run our wee business. I have NO idea what to do with myself aside from clean and re-organise the house AND bake!. To celebrate the end of 4 years of stress and hard work, I did what I do best and baked a cake! Its 636am as I write this so I apologise in advance if words don’t come together properly. Have been awake since 4am thanks to someone who decided it would be a great idea to ring our home phone not once but twice!
– 3 eggs
– 1 cup caster sugar
– 2 lemons, juiced, plus 2 teaspoons finely grated lemon zest
– 2 cups self-raising flour, sifted
– 1 cup greek yoghurt, plus extra, to serve
– 1/2 cupÂ good quality olive oil
– 2 lemons, zest peeled into strips
– 1/2 cup caster sugar
– 1/3 cup lemon juice
What to do
– Preheat oven to 180C. Grease a cake pan and line it with baking paper.
– Whisk together the eggs and sugar until pale and creamy. Add lemon juice and zest and whisk for a minute or so until well combined.
– Add in flour, yoghurt and oil and stir until smooth. Whack into the cake pan and bake for 45 minutes or until a skewer inserted into centre comes out clean.
While the cake is baking, get cracking with the syrup. I prefer using it when its cooled slightly as its not as runny so won’t dribble all over the bench while your drizzling.
– Peel zest and juice lemons. Cut the zest into strips and place in a pot of boiling water for 1 minute. Drain off the water and pop the zest to one side.
– Add sugar, lemon juice and 2 tablespoons of water into the same pot and cook, stirring over a low to medium heat until the sugar dissolves. Let it simmer for about 3 minutes or until its thickened up. Remove from the heat and pop the zest back into the pot. Give it a wee stir and pop into a jug.
– Once the cake is out of the oven, grab a skewer and poke wee holes over the top. Pour half of the syrup over the cake, letting it soak in before you pour more. Let the cake stand in the pan for 30 minutes.
– Pop the cake out of the pan and finish off with the remaining syrup.
– Serve on its own (I prefer this) or with some greek yoghurt.
ENJOY! I hope you have a fab weekend. After a year and a half of reconstructive work, I am off to the dentist to pick up my trays for tooth whitening. Big day!