Summer is FINALLY here and I am so so excited AND its almost CHRISTMAS! The sun is out, the weather is warm and fruit is cheaper than it was 3 months ago. I am done with the crappy cold weather and cannot wait to spend many many days and evenings at the beach. It has been a shitty year for me so I am counting down the days until a new one arrives so I can say goodbye to this one.
I am back with cake, (like I always am when I take a huge break away from here), but a yummy summery cake. If you’re not a fan of polenta.. I think this will change your mind.
What you’ll need
– 125g softened butter + a little extra for greasing
– 150g caster sugar
– finely grated lemon rind + 2 Tbsp lemon juice
– 3 beaten eggs
– 115g polenta
– 115g ground almonds
– 1 tsp baking powder
– 4 Tbsp greek yogurt
– 115g fresh or frozen blueberries
– icing sugar for dusting
What to do
– Preheat the oven to 180 degrees c and grease and line a 20 cm cake pan.
– Pop the butter sugar, lemon ride and juice into a large bowl and beat together until pale and fluffy. Gradually beat in the eggs and then stir in the polenta, almonds, baking powder and yogurt.
– Fold in 2/3 of the blueberries and spoon the cake batter into the pan. Scatter over the remaining blueberries.
– Bake for 40-45 minutes or until just firm and golden around the edges. Leave to cool in the pan for 20 then pop out and place on a wire rack to finishing cooling.
– Once cool, dust with icing sugar and serve as is or with a dollop of greek yoghurt on the side.
I hope you all have a wonderful weekend! I have an early morning date with an amazing lady who keeps my eyebrows tame before we head out to finish off the last of our Christmas shopping.
(as per, the lighting is never good in this place! Its my goal for 2016 to get fixed!)