I hope you had a wonderful couple of weeks. Ours has been hectic as usual (what week isn’t when you have a wee child/children) but I am incredibly excited for both this Chewy Chocolate Coconut Slice and for Miss I!
She had her eye specialist appointment on Friday and for the first time in almost 2 years, she is starting to alternate her squint (lazy eye)! This is AMAZING news for us as it means that we might be able to rule out any future surgeries to tighten the muscles in her right eye. All of my fighting with her about wearing her eye patch is starting to pay off! She will always need her glasses for vision but maybe, just maybe, her squint will correct itself to the point where she won’t need an operation.
We jumped in the kitchen together on Tuesday arvo and she helped me to make this incredibly delicious Chewy Choc Coconut Slice. I cherish these moments I get to spend with her because as soon as Nick gets home, she doesn’t want to know me- rude! Clearly she doesn’t remember who feeds her during the day.
He has been working on site with a client this week so we loaded him up with a box of this to take to his team yesterday and judging by the empty system container he came home with last night, I’m guessing they loved it!
The recipe for this Chewy Chocolate Coconut Slice has been in my wee book for years. I’m pretty sure it is from the Edmonds cookbook (one of the early editions) but I can’t be too sure, either way, it won’t disappoint- PROMISE!
What you’ll need
For the base
– 125g melted butter
– 200g brown sugar or low GI sugar
– 1 egg, lightly beaten
– 1 tsp vanilla extract
– 110g plain flour
– 1 tsp baking powder
– 2 Tbsp cocoa powder
– 75g desiccated coconut
– Extra coconut for sprinkling
for the icing Icing
– 215g icing sugar
– 3 TBSP cocoa powder
– 50g unsalted butter, softened
– 3-4 Tbsp boiling water
What to do
– Preheat your oven to 175°C (155 fan bake) and grease and line a rectangular slice tin with baking paper.
– Beat the butter, sugar, egg and vanilla in a bowl until nice and smooth.
– Sift in the flour, baking powder and cocoa and mix well before stirring in the coconut.
– Spread your base mixture into your prepared slice tin and bake for about 20-25 minutes or until firm.
– While the base is baking, add icing sugar, cocoa powder and butter to a bowl and give it a good whisk. Add boiling water a little at a time and whisk it until it’s smooth.
– Whip the base out of the oven oven and spread with chocolate icing while slice is still hot. Don’t be afraid to lick the icing bowl.. I won’t judge Sprinkle on some extra coconut for a touch of prettiness.
– Let the slice cool completely before cutting up into squares and serving with a fresh cuppa.
If you like the look of Miss I’s wee wrist/hair candy, you can find it over at Ruby Blue. She’s one of our most fav people who just so happens to make super cute and amazing hair ties!
Have Snapchat? We would love for you to come hang with us over at @heylittlesweets or on Facebook and Instagram
Tags : SLICES