I hope you have all had an amazing start to the week! Nick is busy training all week so me and Miss I are laying low and hanging around the house doing lots of baking and crafts. We did pop next-door to the zoo this morn (along with what felt 5 million other people) to check out the new African Savannah exhibit which by the way is AMAZING! I kind of crave these quiet weeks.
Now, you might be thinking… “why not just call this a chocolate caramel slice because really, thats what it is”. In normal circumstances I would, but this one is isn’t just a caramel slice. Its a cakey based, gooey caramel centred, fudgey chocolate iced piece of deliciousness! I got given a book full of recipes that were from rural NZ women and the recipes are donkeys years old. There is some really old favourites in there that I can’t wait to make but I decided to get cracking with this one first. 2 failed caramel slices and a bit of recipe tweaking (TINY tweaks to the pan size, caramel and icing) later, we finally have a winner. And not just any winner, a fudgey choc & gooey caramel slice perfected winner! I should probably take this wee moment to thank my husband for all of the caramel slices he’s had to consume over the last week!
While this slice is slightly time consuming, it’s totally worth it and goes AMAZING with a cup of coffee. Promise!
What you’ll need
– 125g butter
– 3/4c sugar
– 1 egg white
– 1 TBSP golden syrup
– 1 1/4c flour
– 1/2 tsp baking powder
– 1 TBSP cocoa
– 4 TBSP butter
– 2 TBSP golden syrup
– 2 egg yolks
– 2 TBSP sugar
– 1 can sweetened condensed milk
– 1 1/2 c icing sugar
– 50g butter
– 3 TBSP cocoa powder
– 3-5 TBSP boiling water
What to do
– Preheat your oven to 180/160 fan force and line a slice tin (roughly 26l x 17w x 4h cm) with baking paper
– For the base, grab a bowl and cream the butter and sugar together.
– Add in the egg white, then golden syrup followed by the dry ingredients.
– Bake for 15 minutes, remove and cool in the tin.
– While your base is cooling, get cracking on the caramel filling! Add all of the ingredients to a pot and cook over a low-medium heat on the stove top for 10 mins. Spread over your base and allow it to set.
– In a bowl add the icing sugar and butter. Give it a wee mix up with a whisk before adding cocoa powder. Slowly add water and whisk until well combined. You want the icing to be thick so don’t add too much water! Spread over caramel and allow to set before cutting.
– Store in an air tight container if it lasts that long! For a firmer slice, store in the fridge.