Today was an action packed day of having Aunty Kayla over, making Swirly Whirly Top Cupcakes and popping next-door to the zoo for a wee visit. Miss I has been far to busy to have a chance to summon her inner demon today and it has been fucking lovely. Making cupcakes with her was the bees bloody knees because for the first time this week, my little girl was back! I even broke my “no sugar” rule for her and let her (after scraping off most of the icing) have her very first cupcake. I couldn’t not let her have one of her very own creations and I think its safe to say.. she bloody loved it.
We originally set out to make rainbow cupcakes but after some deliberation between Miss I and well.. herself, it was decided that they would be swirly whirly instead. Not swirly whirly throughout the entire cupcake, or even just half… but the top. Only the top was to be swirly whirly and have sprinkles (of course). Who am I to argue with a kid who knows exactly what she wants, so I dusted off the cake mixer (we usually do everything by hand) and we got making on these yummo vanilla swirly whirly top cupcakes with fluffy fluffy vanilla buttercream!
for the cupcakes
– 150g softened butter
– 305g caster sugar
– 2 eggs
– 2 tsp vanilla extract
– 370g self-raising flour
for the swirly whirly
– coloured food gel (your choice!)
– toothpicks for swirly whirly-ing
for the buttercream/decorations
– 300g softened butter
– 300g icing sugar
– 2 tsp vanilla extract
What to do
– Preheat your oven to 190 degrees c (180 fan force) and line a muffin tin with cupcakes liners. This makes about 14-16 so unless you have two trays, this will need to be cooked in batches.
– In a bowl (or mixer) add the butter and beat until smooth. Pop in the sugar and beat until light and fluffy.
– Add in the eggs one at a time and make sure they are well incorporated.
– Sift in the flour, add the milk followed by the vanilla extract and beat until smooooooth.
– Portion out the mix between your cupcake cases (I use an ice cream scoop) and fill to about 2/3s full.
– Now for the fun part- grab your food colouring and some toothpicks and get swirling! We just added a ring of each colour by dunking a clean toothpick into the food gel and then we got swirly whirly-ing (Miss I’s words, not mine)
– Pop into the oven for 16-20 minutes or until golden brown. Repeat with remaining mixture. Let them cool for a few in the tin before transferring onto a wire rack to cool completely.
– While the cupcakes are cooling, get cracking with the icing. Add the butter into your clean mixing bowl and whip for 5 mins. It might seem like ages, but it makes all the difference! (Thanks Colleen!)
– Sprinkle in your icing sugar bits at a time… this prevents it from getting flung out of the bowl…. I’ve learnt that lesson numerous times- Sorry Kayla!!!!
– Add in the vanilla and if you’re using a cake mixer.. let it whip! If you’re not….. I apologise. For a fluffy and not so gritty buttercream, you want to whip, whip, whip it for a reeeeaaally looooong time (again, thanks Colleen!). I let ours go for about 10-15 minutes. Time consuming but totally worth it. At least the cupcakes will be completely cool by the time you have finished AND its a good arm workout if your using a hand mixer! You. Are. Welcome.
– Grab your cuppies, pipe or spread your buttercream, get your sprinkle on… then eat them.
As always, wrist and hair candy by our fav person Ruby Blue.