Happy Monday loves!!! It’s always a good one when there is left over Cacao & Apple Puree Brownie for lunch. We hope you have had a wonderful week and weekend. Ours has been a bit of whirlwind but what week isn’t in this house?!
We’ve just finished week two of preschool and so far, so good and Miss I is LOVING it. Now that things have settled down, I’m rather looking forward to everything getting back to normal starting today. We’ve been having a wee break from homeschool since Miss I started preschool as I didn’t want to overload her but she asked to start back (be still my beating heart!) so after her nap today.. homeschool starts again! I think we are both excited for it.
I jumped into the kitchen on Friday with my BFF while we were waiting for Miss I to finish up at preschool and created some yummies for dessert that night. It was a eat nachos and binge watch Criminal Minds kinda night and this Cacao & Apple Puree Brownie was the perfect accompaniment.
Not only is there fruit in here from the apple but there is vitamin E, folate and other stuff from the walnuts aaaaaaaand cacao powder which is high in antioxidants and whatever else….. so it’s according to my nutritional calculations- it’s kinda healthy! Ok, so maybe don’t eat the whole thing in one go but you can enjoy a square or two without feeling all that guilty. Everything in moderation babeses!
This wee brownie has the perfect amount of sweetness, chocolatey-ness and fudgy-ness and it is a bit hard to tell that it is actually dairy and egg free! If you’re wanting to pop this into your kiddos lunch box as a wee treat, leave out the nuts as most schools/kindy’s/preschools are nut free! I will admit, this isn’t everyones cup of tea but if you’re after a healthier alternative for your choc fix, then this is perfect!
Out of the mouth of Miss I- “It makes your tummy happy!”.
What you’ll need
– 220g homemade or unsweetened apple sauce/puree (I used baby apple puree!)
– 30g cacao powder or cocoa powder if you have that on hand
– 120g self raising flour (gluten free will work well too)
– 1/2 tsp baking soda
– 1/4 tsp salt
– 80g caster sugar – This is optional. If I am making this for kids, I leave the sugar out.
– 90g dark compound chocolate chips
– 70g walnuts- Leave out if you’re wanting to send this to school!
– icing sugar for dusting
What to do
– Preheat your oven to 175 degrees c (155 fan force) and grease and line a 20cm by 20cm square tin with baking paper.
– Grab a large bowl and pour in your apple puree/sauce. Sift in the cacao or cocoa powder, flour and baking soda.
– Add in the sugar and salt and mix with a spoon until just combined then fold in the walnuts and chocolate chips.
– Pour the mix into your tin and into the oven it goes for 25-30 minutes or until the centre feels set and fudgy when a skewer is popped in the middle.
– Cool for 10-15 in the pan then remove and pop onto a wire rack to finish off the cooling process.
– Dust with icing sugar then cut into squares then you’re good to get eating! The Fudgy Cacao & Apple Puree Brownie will keep for a few days in an airtight container.
Have Snapchat? We would love for you to come hang with us over at @heylittlesweets or on Facebook and Instagram
Tags : BROWNIES