Well hello there and happy November to you! Don’t worry, I’m not going to be that person that says “only x amount of days until Christmas” because to be honest with you, I hate those people. No one needs a reminder about all that christmas malarky, so instead I’m going to satisfy your sweet tooth with a caramel, white chocolate and macadamia nut slice… because it’s been a while and today my first official day back at this blogging thing.
The last couple of months have been spent doing loads of stuff that isn’t baking but last week I was able to jump into the kitchen and get creating. I’ll be honest, it felt freaking AMAZING. It was the first time in a long time where I actually enjoyed it as opposed to doing it because I felt like I had to. I’m excited to be excited about this again and share with you the yummy things from our still incredibly poorly lit kitchen.
I consulted with the 3ft 5 version of myself who agreed that this was is the PERFECT thing to kick off November with. The caramel, the white chocolate and nuts, the shortbread base… it will be the best thing you put in your mouth. Promise. So, without further adieu, lets get cracking because even though I have had 2 months off, the house is still a fucking shambles.
What you’ll need
for the base
– 250g unsalted butter, softened
– 180g caster sugar
– 450g plain flour (gluten free flour also works well)
– 1 tsp vanilla extract
– 1 tsp baking powder
for the filling
– 1x 395g tin sweetened condensed milk
– 1x 380g tin caramel (next to the condensed milk)
– 60g unsalted butter, softened
– 2 Tbsp golden syrup
for the topping
– 130g macadamia nuts, roughly chopped (or any nuts you prefer really)
– 180g white chocolate, roughly chopped
optional extra- desiccated coconut, just a handful sprinkled on top
What to do
– Flick on the oven and preheat to 180 degrees c (160 fan force) and line a 20cm by 30cm oblongy slice tin with baking paper.
– Grab a big bowl, add in the butter, sugar and vanilla and beat until pale and soft. In goes the flour and baking powder and mix well. It will come together to form almost a shortbread dough like consistency.
– Pop ¼ of the dough off to the side and tip the remaining into your slice tin. Smooth it all out, making sure to fill in the corners and press firmly with the back of a spoon or whatever you have on hand. Chuck it in the fridge while you make the filling.
– Either in a microwave safe bowl or over a pot of boiling water, add together the condensed milk and caramel as well as the butter and golden syrup. Give it a stir and pop into the microwave or over the pot and heat until the butter melts. Whack that caramely goodness into the fridge for 15 and have a cuppa because you deserve it.
– Grab your base and the caramel then pour that beaut all over. Give it a shake and a few bangs on the bench to make sure it has evenly covered the base. Sprinkle over the reaming dough you set aside earlier as well as your nuts and the white chocolate. Into the oven it goes for 30-35 minutes until nice and golden. Leave to cool in the tin.
– Cut into slices or just break chunks off (I won’t judge you) and enjoy with a nice cuppa. It won’t last long but just incase, this beaut will keep well for a couple of days in an airtight container.
If you want to come see our activities in action, come hang with us on Snapchat @heylittlesweets. You can also find us on Facebook and Instagram.
Tags : Slices