After being cooped up inside since Saturday with Miss I and her 39.3 degree fever and puking, cabin fever hit HARD yesterday! She was manic (she’s intense on good days but this was a whole other level!) because she wanted to be at preschool and doing regular things but alas yesterday was a rest day to make sure she was over whatever bug decided to invade her was gone.
I’ve seen these floating around Pinterest and Facebook and we needed something to do yesterday arvo so we thought that we would craft up our own calming glitter jar. I wasn’t too sure if Miss I would be into this as it’s rather simple (my brain was hurting from lack of sleep) but she actually loved making this. All of the water pouring, stirring and shaking brought a smile back to her face which has something that’s been missing since Saturday morning.
I’ll be honest- I’m not entirely sure how much calm these calming glitter jars are actually supposed to bring but it’s fun and easy peasy to craft up. If the kiddo/s don’t find it all that calming, it’ll knock the socks off your significant other (mine had his mind blown… don’t even ask) which will get at least one of them off your back for a few minutes! Failing all of this calm b/s, at least you can say you did a craft with the kid/s this week!
What you’ll need
– glass jar with a lid
– coloured glitter
– a tube of glitter glue (the same colour as the glitter you’ve chosen to use)
– food colouring (again, same colour as the above two.. ours rolled away while I was taking the photo- fucker)
– water- enough to fill your jar
– tape or glue to seal the jar shut
What to do
– Half fill the jar with water and squirt in 3/4 of the tube of glitter glue. Give it a mix with a fork or spoon.
– Add in your food colouring (we used six drops of blue), tip in you glitter, fill to the top with water, pop on the lid, seal it shut with glue or tape and shake away.
– Watch as the magic swirls and whirls about thus bringing you or your child a sense of calm.
*read in a soothing and calming cheesy voice*
Now, please excuse me whilst I got and vigorously shake this jar to find my happy place
Have Snapchat? We would love for you to come hang with us over at @heylittlesweets or on Facebook and Instagram.
Tags : Sensory Play