I AM SO EXCITED to be taking part in the Kiwi Mummy Bloggers 12 days of Christmas collab. The last 7 days have brought the most amazing Christmas themed blog posts from the most amazing kiwi bloggers and there is still a few more days to go with even more awesomeness! Yesterday the lovely lady from Dorothy Nada had you covered for Day 7 with her awesome Christmas in a Jar ideas and today… well.. get your singing voice ready (sang to the tune of 12 days of Christmas of course)- On the 8th day of Christmas, Hey Little Sweet Thing brought to yoooooou- CHRISTMAS CHOCOLATE CUPCAKES!
Christmas stresses me the F out so most of the time I just want something super easy and basic (even if my piping skills are terrible) to make it look like I’ve put in a whole ton of effort when really I just put some sprinkles on some easy chocolate cupcakes and called it a day. When I stress or get nervous, I also crack inappropate jokes at inappropriate times. My hubby keeps telling me he married me because of this (and my foul mouth) .. I’d much prefer to think it was because of my OUTSTANDING personality but whatever. I figured i’d bring a little dysfunctional Christmas humour to the table as seen below.
So, lets get cracking on these cupcakes!
What you’ll need (makes 30, this recipe can be easily halved!)
for the Christmas chocolate cupcakes
– 225g unsalted butter, at room temp
– 300g caster sugar
– 3 eggs, at room temp
– 1 1/2 vanilla extract
– 300g plain flour
– 75g dark cocoa powder
– 1 tsp baking powder
– 1/2 tsp baking soda
– 250mls milk
for the frosting
– 250g unsalted butter, at room temp
– 500g icing sugar
– 2 tsp vanilla extract (or you could replace the vanilla with a few drops of mint extract for mint chocolate cupcakes)
– 2 Tbsp milk
for the decorations
– Christmas themed sprinkles (I used GoBake and Wilton)
– Piping bag
– Large icing tip. A star tip would work well too!
(You could also use Christmas themed cupcake toppers)
What to do
to make your Christmas chocolate cupcakes
– Preheat your oven to 180 degrees c (160 fan force) and line 1 or 2 (depending on how many you have) with cupcake cases
– Grab a small bowl and sift together the flour, cocoa, baking powder and soda into a bowl. Give it a wee stir with a whisk or fork to combine. Pop it off to the side.
– Using either a hand or stand mixer, pop the butter and sugar into a bowl and beat for 10 minutes, scraping down the sides every couple of minutes. 10 minutes may seem like a long time but this is what helps give you a light and fluffy cupcake!
– Add in the eggs one at a time, beating well after each addition and scraping down the sides. Add in your vanilla and beat again.
– Turn your mixer down to a slow speed and add in one third of the flour, followed by one third of the milk. Repeat until both are in the mix. You’ll want to mix until just incorporated.
– Fill your cupcakes cases 3/4 full (I use an ice cream scoop) and bake in the middle of the oven for 15-17 minutes or until skewer inserted in the middle comes out clean.
– Leave your cupcakes to cool for 5-10 in the pan before transferring them to a wire rack to cool completely.
to make your icing
– Again, either using a hand or stand mixer, add your butter and vanilla extract to a bowl and whip for 10 minutes. We want light and fluffy errr-thang!
– Gradually add in your icing sugar and milk and beat until lovely and smooth.
– Pop your icing tip into your icing bag, grab your cuppies, pipe away and shove your sprinkles on.
That’s it! Easy peasy, looking snazzy and everyone is going to be like “WOW! Your cupcakes are so light and fluffy and AMAZING” and you can turn around and say “Pfffft, it’s just a little something I whipped up”- No need to thank me, I’ve got you babeses.
Tomorrow for day 9 of our 12 days of Christmas, the babe from The Mother Hood will be bringing you something festive so make sure you check her FB page at 12pm (NZ time) so see what she has in store! If you’re wanting to catch up on days 1-7 then jump on over to Hey Little Sweet Thing Facebook page to see all of the wonderful blog posts so far! Be sure to pop on over to all of the amazing ladies FB pages and blogs and give them a wee follow!
See you back on day 13 for a round up of ALL of the blog posts!
p.s Thanks soul sister Emmy & Me for getting all text fancy on my cover picture. You’re the best!