Yesterday, I asked my amazing Snapchat fam if they wanted to see all of the activities and learning games we do around here and they all said “YES!” so here we are with a sensory play activity we love to do that is gross, fun, natural and rather cheap!
Sensory play is a great way for kiddos to explore, play, create, investigate and process new info while stimulating their senses. Miss I has always loved it and anything slimy and goopy is a hit! Flaxseed is rather cheap so if you can, purchase from a bulk bin/fruit and vege store if you can to save yourself some money.
There are three ways you can do this. You can either leave it as is and pour your flaxseed goopy goo into a tray, strain out the seeds and colour the left over goo or colour the entire thing. The flaxseed goopy goo world is your oyster!
Miss I changes it up every time we do this and today she wanted coloured slime AND the flaxseeds left in so in went some pink food colouring. I personally would have chosen a different colour but hell hath no fury than a 3.5 year old who wants pink slime. In the tray it went, out came the dinosaurs and for half an hour, goopy goo fun was had.
This is a perfect sensory play activity for bubs (old enough to sit up by themselves) and kids of all ages. Let them get their hands in there and squish it about, dunk in their fingers and watch the slime drip off OR dip toes and watch their faces.
As with anything, make sure you supervise younger ones. Although its all natural, the seeds are small so you want to make sure it doesn’t go near their mouth!
What you’ll need
– 1 cup of flaxseed/linseed – they’re the same thing!
– 750mls of water (3 cups)
– a medium bowl for mixing
– a tray for playing
– an airtight container for storing
– plastic sheet or a snipped up bin bag for lining the floor/carpet/whatever surface you’re working on
– an towel or tea towel for wiping gooey hands
optional- food colouring and toys
What to do
– Measure out 1 cup of flaxseed/linseed and pop it into your bowl followed by 750 mls/3 cups of water.
– Give it a wee stir and pop it into the fridge for a minimum of 12 hours to ensure goo.
– When you’re ready to play, either leave as is or strain and colour. Pop it into your tray and let it sit for a little so it comes up to room temp.
– Lay down your plastic sheet/bin bag, down goes the tray and let the kiddo at it! To mix it up a little, add in some of their favourite plastic toys so they can create their own stories or just cover them in goo!
This can be reused a few times over (3 times max) so if you’re keeping it for another day, pop it into an air tight container and back into the fridge until you’re ready to use it again. Repeat above minus the colouring!
Have fun and if you do this with your wee one, let us know how it went!