With most preschools/kindergartens and schools being nut free these days due to allergies, I’ve found it hard to find treats that Miss I loves that doesn’t contain nuts! She’s a peanut butter, nut filled Bliss Ball, snacking on raw nuts out of the bag freak. When she discovered that she couldn’t take her favourite Bliss Balls to Preschool… well… hell hath no fury than a kid who wants her favourite treat!
An alternative had to be found because I was sick of the whinging, so out come the food processor, the seeds and other goodness filled stuff and the making began! We’ve tried a few different combos over the last few months but these ones seem to be here favourite and they’re super easy to make!
Bliss Balls make the perfect treat for when you want something sweet that isn’t filled with refined sugar. These Choco Seed Bliss Balls contain NO nuts which means they are safe to take school and jam packed with good fats, fibre, vitamins and minerals to keep little tums happy and you can eat 5 in a row and not feel guilty because … they’re full of fibre which will keep your poops flowing nicely! #allaboutgoodbowelhealth
What you’ll need
– 8 dates
– enough boiling water to cover the dates
– 1 Tbsp chia seeds
– 4 Tbsp sunflower seeds
– 2 Tbsp pumpkin seeds
– 1/2 cup rolled oats
– 1 cup desiccated coconut + a little extra for rolling
– 1 tsp vanilla extract
– 1 1/2 Tbsp coconut oil
– 2 Tbsp cocoa or cacao powder (we prefer cacao)
optional extras- poppy seeds, linseed/flaxseed- any other seed!
What to do
– Soak your dates for 20-30 minutes in boiling water BEFORE starting. Save the water!
– Pop EVERYTHING except the water into a food processor and blitz.
– Add enough of the water left over from the dates until the mix comes together. You need it stick enough so it holds its shape when rolled.
– Shape into balls and then roll them in coconut before popping them into the fridge for an hour or two to set.
Boom- Done! Pop these into an airtight container and they will keep in the fridge for up to a week which will make school lunches a tad easier in the morn!