Happy Monday my lovelies! If you saw this on Snapchat/Facebook on Saturday.. No we haven’t gone back in time! I wrote the Fizzy Bug Bombs blog on the weekend but I did while my website was being moved from one provider to another. I took “no downtime” as you could still carry on as normal but what it really meant was “nothing will go down unless you write a blog post in between transfers”. So, here we are again!
Miss I LOVES anything that involves water so Fizzy Bug Bombs were a hit with her ! I’m not sure which she loved the most, popping her hands into the water to feel the fizzing or sploshing water about the place. Judging by the state of the deck, I think it’s the latter!
Fizzy Big Bombs are a great wee sensory activity that can tap into touch, sound, sight and smell. When you’re making the mix, kiddos can feel it change from soft powder to a mix that can be squished together. They can see it change colour as well as the change in smell from adding the extract.
When it comes time to play, kiddos can feel the water temperature change once you drop the bomb into the water. They can also feel the fizzing on their fingers as well as see and hear it AND they will be able to smell and see the colour of the water change.
The Fizzy Bug Bomb mix can easily be doubled, tripled or even quadrupled depending on how many you want to make. This will make about 3 or 4 bombs depending on how big your toys are and will give you at least 30 minutes of peace and quiet! If your kid/s are old enough, make sure you get them in the kitchen to help get your Fizzy Bug Bombs read for fun!
What you’ll need
1/2 cup baking soda
2 Tbsp citric acid
1/2 tsp water
a few drops of food colouring
1 1/4 tsp olive or melted coconut oil
– small plastic toys. Bugs, dinosaurs, animals etc
– a bowl for mixing
– a bowl for playing. You can also use these in the shower or sink
– a jug for pouring water
optional extra- extract. We used orange and peppermint
What to do
– Measure out your baking soda and pop it into your bowl ready for mixing.
– Grab your 1/2 tsp of water and add a couple of drops of food colouring. Add this to your baking soda and give it a mix until the colour is evenly distributed. If you’re using an extract to make it smell nice, add this in as well.
– Add in your citric acid and give it a decent mix until everything is well combined.
– In goes your 1 1/4 tsp of oil and mix it all about. You should be able to grab a ball of your mixture and compact it in your hands.
– Grab some of your mix and squish it, add a toy to the middle and then cover with more mix and squish again to compact everything together. You want to make sure your toy is completely covered. Repeat until you’ve used up all of your fizzy bug bomb mix.
– Pop your bombs off to the side to dry and hard overnight. If you have some sunshine and want to speed it up, pop them in the sun for a few hours to harden. You’ll notice that the colour will fade slightly but never fear, once you drop them in water they’ll freshen up.
– When you’re ready to play, grab your bowl and jug of water, fill up the sink or turn on the shower, add some water to the fizzy bug bomb and away you go!
I couldn’t narrow down the photos so you’ve got all of them… #sorrynotsorry