I think its safe to say that we all go through that phase where our kid wont eat any veggies. Their once loved carrot sticks are now infested with whatever is causing them to throw a tantrum because “they don’t like them”. I am all about the hiding of vege into yummy looking things to trick my small human into getting her essential vitamins and minerals. This is where Goody Goody Green Sweet Spinach Muffins come in!
These little beauts are not only jam packed full of spinach but they are also refined sugar free which makes them perfect for school lunch boxes. Aint nobody gonna tell you off for packing these! Goody Goody Green Sweet Spinach Muffins also freeze well, so you can grab one out in the morning and they will be defrosted come snack time.
The colour is a bit funky but just tell the kids you added some green food colouring to make Shrek muffins or something….. they don’t need to know whats inside! Think of yourself as a spy or a CIA agent- NEVER give away your secrets.
Brown rice flour is not everyone’s cup of tea so by all means, use whatever flour you like best!
What you’ll need
for the dry stuff
– 200g brown rice flour or 2 cups of wholemeal/white/gluten free flour
– 1 1/2 tsp cinnamon
– 2 tsp baking powder
– 1/2 tsp baking soda
– 1/4 tsp salt
for the wet stuff
– 170g spinach
– 1/2 c honey
– 1/2 c milk
– 1 large banana or two small ones
– 115g unsalted butter, at room temp
– 1 egg
What to do
– Preheat your oven to 175 degrees c (155 fan force) and line a muffin tray with cases. These make between 15-18 muffins so you might need to bake two batches.
– Pop all of your dry ingredients into a bowl and give it a wee whisk with a fork.
– Grab your blender or food processor and blitz ALL of your wet ingredients together until they’ve liquified.
– Add your awesome green liquid to the dry ingredients and mix until just combined.
– Divide the mix between your muffin cases and bake for 18-22 minutes or until a skewer inserted into the middle comes out clean. Leave to cool in the tin for 5 before transferring to a wire rack to cool completely. These will keep for a couple of days in an air tight container or pop into the freezer to give you a few weeks worth of morning snacks.