I cannot say Dulce de Leche at all but writing it makes these Banoffee Jars sound WAY fancier than what they actually are!
This is one of those easy peasy desserts that makes you look like you’ve spent a whole lot of time and effort in the kitchen… when really the longest part was waiting for the caramel to cook and cool and everything else took 15 minutes max!
Here’s how to make you sound fancy as fuck when dishing this up to your friends!
“Oh THESE! These are just a little something I whipped up! Here we have Dulce de Leche Banoffee Jars! On the bottom is a shortbread and coconut base, followed by a spiced banana cream filling, your next layer is Dulce de Leche which is a thick and creamy caramel, more spiced banana cream and topped with hand toasted coconut and a shortbread finger”.
What you’ll need
for the dulce de leche
– 390g tin condensed milk
for the base
– a 200g packet of shortbread bikkies (take out 4 for the topping!)
– 40g of shredded coconut
– 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
for the spiced banana cream filling
– 300mls cream
– 1 Tbsp icing sugar
– 1/2 tsp mixed spice
– 2 mashed bananas
for the topping
– 40g toasted shredded coconut
– 4 of those shortbread bikkies you reserved earlier.
What to do
– You’ll want to start by making your Dulce de Leche! Either make this the night before or first thing in the morning as it takes 2.5 -3 hours to cook + cooling time! Alternatively, you can use that shitty tinned caramel that doesn’t taste as amazing as this! Bring a big pot of water to the boil, take the label off your condensed milk tin and pop it into the pot on it’s side. Leave it to cook for 2.5-3 hours, making sure you check the pot every half an hour or so to ensure there is enough water covering the tin. Top up when needed. Once the time is up, remove the tin from the pot with some tongs and leave it to cool completely before using.
– Chuck 40g of your coconut into a dry pan on a low-medium heat and toast until golden. Remove from the heat and leave to cool completely. Mash your bananas while you’re at it.
– Pop your shortbread bikkies into a bag and bash them with a rolling pin until you have fine crumbs. Empty the bag into a bowl along with the (not toasted) shredded coconut and your vanilla extract. Mix until well combined.
– Spoon your biscuit base into mini mason jars (or just grab a big dish and save yourself multiple trips to the fridge) and move them to the side.
– Grab a big bowl an pour in your cream. Sprinkle in your icing sugar and mixed spice and whip until soft and fluffy. Gently fold in your mashed bananas.
– If your using jars, grab a piping bag and pipe in your banana cream. It’s way easier to get it all in there nicely without having to wipe shit down. If you’re using a dish… just spoon that magically delicious cream everywhere!
– Fancy caramel time! Top your banana cream with your Dulce de Leche (I used a piping bag) followed by a bit more cream then a sprinkling of toasted coconut. Chuck a shortbread finger in there and Bobs your uncle, you’ve got yourself some incredibly delish Banoffee Jars!
If you’re not eating this right away, leave the finger out until you’re ready to consume!