Note to self, make sure you have blog written up BEFORE posting Super Stretchy Slimy Flubber activity to Snapchat!
Today was a bit of a jumbled up day thanks to a wee eye surgeon visit but we did mange to squeeze in a bit of sensory play early this morning. I’ll admit, slime is one of my FAVOURITE things to make and as Izzy still has a few issues around the texture, I try to squeeze it in as much as possible. It’s beneficial for both of us!
Super Stretchy Slimy Flubber is exactly that. It is super stretchy, a little slimy and lots of flubbery. Because slime is an awesome non-newtonian fluid, while it’s being moved about in your hands, it is a solid thing. Once you stop, it turns to a liquid like substance again. It can be stretched, moulded, broken apart, wobbled about and stuck back together… hours of fun for both you and the kid/s.
Borax is a natural occurring substance HOWEVER, it is not taste safe! I suggest if you are wanting to do this with kiddos who still like to pop things into their mouth then check out either our Homemade Slime or our Yoghurt Slime for something a little more stomach friendly. There has been a few articles lately about how borax is not safe to play with. Providing you don’t have any allergies or sensitive skin, it is completely safe. The only time I would question the safety of borax in slime is if you are making and playing with a borax based slime every day. Everything in moderation no matter how fun or delicious it is!
What you’ll need
– 3 bowls or 2 bowls and an airtight container
– something to stir
– 1 cup water
– 1 tsp borax
– 1/2 cup PVA glue (not the super runny kind! Get a small bottle from either The Warehouse or the $2 shop.)
– 1/2 cup water
optional- food colouring and gloves
What to do
– Grab bowl 1 and add in your 1 cup of water and borax. Give it a really good stir for about a minute or two.
– Grab bowl number 2, pour in your 1/2 cup of PVA glue followed by your 1/2 cup of water and stir the shit out of it. If you are adding food colouring, add this in as well.
– Add your borax/water mixture into the glue/water mixture and start stirring. You’ll notice it turns this really stringy type gloop… keep going!
– After a good ole’ stir, it’s time to get your hands in there. You’ll want to knead it for a few minutes. It will look like it won’t come together but leave it for 5 and it will magically sort itself out.
– Pop it into bowl number 3 (or an airtight container) and cover. This slime will keep for a few weeks providing it doesn’t get any random bits in it!