It’s Baking Monday and Baking Monday calls for Cheesy Zucchini Pasta Slice. I’ll admit, I’m not really feeling Monday as we barely slept last week so I’m going to keep this sort and sweet! Food is more important.
Izzy is going through a phase of eating anything and everything in sight (I’ve slipped the feral kid a worm tablet) while keeping her slender physique.. I wish I was a kid again. This Cheesy Zucchini Pasta Slice makes for a super easy, veggie and protein packed little kid tum filler as well as an awesome dinner or lunchbox filler.
You can whack this bad boy in the freezer which means you can have dinner, snacks or lunchbox fillers on hand for the week! Either pop into ziplock bags or a freezer safe container. Just make sure you pop a bit of baking paper in between your slice layers to keep them separated.
What you’ll need
– 1 cup uncooked wholemeal pasta (spirals, macaroni, penne)
– 3 medium zucchini, grated
– 1 onion, grated
– 125g ham, chopped
– handful of spinach, chopped (optional)
– 1 1/2 cups pizza cheese (you can get this from countdown OR use tasty cheese)
– 1x 300g tin whole corn kernels
– 1/4 cup self raising flour
– 4 eggs, lightly beaten
– 1/3 cup vegetable oil
– 1/3 cup milk
– salt and pepper
What to do
– Preheat your oven to 180 degrees c (160 fan force) and line a rectangle slice tin (20cm by 30cm or as close to that size as possible) with baking paper. Make sure you’ve got a bit of baking paper overhang to act as handles.
– Cook your pasta as per the instructions on the packet, drain, rinse under cold water and pop to the side.
– Grate your zucchini, pop it into a clean tea towel and squeeze out all of the extra zucchini juice.
– In a large bowl, pop in the zucchini, pasta, grated onion, chopped spinach, ham, corn kernels, cheese and flour.
– Add in your eggs, milk, oil, season with salt and pepper and mix until everything is well combined.
– Pour your mix into your tin and smoosh it all out so it’s even. Whack into the oven and bake for 25 minutes or until golden and just set.
– Pull it out of the oven and let it sit in the tin for 10 before removing and popping onto a wire rack to cool completely. DO NOT leave it in the tin any longer than 10 minutes otherwise it will end up with a soggy bum and no one likes one of those!
– Cut it up into slices and you’re good to go!