We’re back to Baking Monday after a week off and this week we are all about this rather bloody delicious Coconut, White Chocolate and PB Slice. This recipe is adapted from the beautiful Melies Kitchen whose recipe book I absolute adore. If you don’t have the book, I highly suggest you grab it!
I came across this recipe when I was knee deep in recipe books looking for something to make for a dessert I had to take to a wee dinner party and as today marks 2 years since my beloved nana passed away, I felt like it was only right to honour her with something that had condensed milk in it! Whenever she made a coffee, instead of using milk or sugar, she would stir in a teaspoon of condensed milk into her cup. I secretly loved making them for her as a kid because I would always lick the spoon afterwards.
This Coconut, White Chocolate and PB Slice is quite deceiving taste wise. You might think that it is going to be super sweet but it aint- it’s got just the right amount of sweetness. Best of all, it goes perfect with a cuppa!
What you’ll need
for the base
– 350g (1.5 packets) superwine biscuits, crushed
– 210g dried dates, roughly chopped. You could also use apricots if you aren’t a date fan.
– 90g shredded coconut (NOT desiccated. You want the long thread coconut)
– 150g butter
– 1x 395g tin of sweetened condensed milk
– pinch of salt
for the topping
– 85g smooth PB
– 250g white chocolate (preferably Whittakers if it’s in the budget)
If you’re not a white chocolate fan, you can use milk chocolate.
– pretzels, roughly chopped
What to do
– Grease and line a medium sized slice tin with baking paper and pop to the side.
– Grab a large bowl and whack in your bikkies, dates and coconut. Give it a little stir.
– In a pot over a medium heat, pop in the butter, condensed milk and salt. Heat until the butter has melted. Bring it to a simmer over a medium to high heat and simmer for a 1 minute.
– Pour your butter mix over the biscuit base and stir until well combined.
– Smoosh it out into your tin and press down firmly to flatten it. Pop into the fridge.
– Onto the icing. Measure out your PB into a bowl and pop to the side.
– Melt your chocolate in the microwave or over a pot of simmering water in a heat proof bowl. Once it’s melted, add the PB and mix until it’s all combined.
– Spread your icing over the base in an even layer then sprinkle over the chopped pretzels.
– Whack that beauty into the fridge for 20-30 minutes or until firm and the icing has set.
– Cut into squares and devour!
This beaut will keep for a week in an airtight container at room temperature or two weeks in an airtight container in the fridge.
Have Snapchat? We would love for you to come hang with us over at @heylittlesweets or on Facebook and Instagram
Tags : Slices