Why drink hot chocolate when you can use it to make Hot Chocolate Playdough!?
I’ll admit, I am not the biggest fan of playdough. I hate the smell of it, I hate the texture of it BUT, Izzy loves it, especially when we change both of these up!
It’s easy to give Playdough a bit of a spruce up. You can add different textures such as coconut to change how it feels or use extracts, essential oils or hot chocolate powder to make it smell delicious! Hot chocolate not only changes the way it smells but it also naturally changes the colour without having to use any food colouring. It just looks a little funny when you try to sculpt with it….
Even though I am a Playdough hater, it is amazing for sensory play AND an awesome tool to use to help build up those fine motor skills. With all of the squishing, squashing and rolling, it helps to strengthen the wee muscles in the hands which encourage prewriting and other skills.
Hot Chocolate Playdough is super easy to make, no cooking required and the kiddo/s will have a heap of fun!
What you’ll need
– 2 cups plain flour
– 1/2 cup hot chocolate powder
– 1 cup of salt
– 2 TBSP cream of tartar
– 2 TBSP oil (I used olive)
– 2 cups boiling hot water
What to do
– Pop all of your ingredients into a big bowl and give it a good mix!
– Lightly flour a bench or a chopping board and turn out your dough.
– Knead for a couple of minutes and add a bit more flour or oil and keep kneading until you have the right playdough-like texture. I ended up adding about 1/2 a cup extra worth of flour and 2 TBSP more of oil.
– Turn it out onto a tray, pop on a few cutters (we used a mixture of sandwich cutters from All Things Lunch and cookie cutters) and let the kiddo/s at it!