Sensory play activities are an awesome way for kids to expore and naturally ecnourage the use of scientific proceses while they play, investigate and create all the while exploring their senses and building new nerve connections in the brains pathway. The great thing about Bats and Spiders is, you’ve got yourself a 3 in 1 activity that should keep them occupied for a good 20 minutes!
Providing your rice and pasta doesn’t get dirty, you can store them in an air tight container and re use them over and over again. While it can get a bit messy, I promise you that with all of the new connections your kid/s brains are formining while playing, it’s totally worth it!
What you’ll need
– bowtie pasta
– food colouring in yellow, red and black
– rubber or plastic spiders
– ziplock bags
– baking paper
– a tray for playing.
– jars or cups
*If you’re using gel food colouring, you’ll need some white vinegar. This ensures that the gel food colouring is evenly distrubuted.
What to do
– Start by colouring rice. Add some rice into a ziplock bag with equal parts of yellow and red food colouring.If you are using gel food colouring, add a teaspoon of white vinegar. Shake it all about until the rice is evenly coloured then tip it out onto some baking paper and leave to dry.
– To colour your bow tie pasta, add a handfull of pasta to a ziplock bag and drop in some black food colouring. Again, if you’re using gel food colouring, add a teaspoon of white vinegar. Shake it all about until the pasta is covered. If you’re fussy like me, you can grab a paintbrush and use it to colour the corner bits. Pop your pasta onto a sheet of baking paper and leave to dry.
– When you’re ready to play, pop your orange rice onto a tray. Spread out your bats and spiders and get playing!
Game: Catching Bats and Spiders
Grab a pair of tweezers and two jars or cups and play a simple seperating game. Use the tweezers to “catch” the spiders, pop them in one jar and the bats in the other.
Game 2: Race Against The Clock
Spread your Bats and Spiders out and set a timer. See how many you can catch in 20 seconds!
Game 3: Dig For Bats and Spiders
Bury the bats and spiders in your coloured rice (Similar to our animal dig). Get the kiddo/s to close their eyes, set a timer for 20 seconds and see how many they can uncover!