There are so many ways to use this delish Caramelised Onion Jam. You can chuck it on top of some cheese and crackers, whack it on top of your steak, bake it into some homemade bread, use as a topping on top of toasted ciabatta or even use it as a filling in homemade burgers.
Caramelised Onion Jam is super easy to make and while you can whack it all in a pan, I personally think it tastes waaaay better slow cooked. The onions caramelise nice and slow and the balsamic vinegar, lemon zest and sugar really infuse into them!
Our favourite way to use Caramelised Onion Jam is on top of medium rare steaks and in our homemade beef and chicken burgers. It just takes them to a whole new, delicious level!
What you’ll need
– 1kg small brown onions or shallots (small brown onions are cheaper!), peeled and thinly sliced
– 2 TBSP plus 1 cup raw sugar
– 80mls balsamic vinegar
– 1 TBSP lemon zest
What to do
– Peel and thinly slice your onions if you haven’t already done so. Chuck them in the slow cooker, sprinkle over 2 TBSP raw sugar, pop the lid on and whack it on high for 4 hours.
– After the 4 hours is up, add in the remaining raw sugar, lemon zest and balsamic vinegar. Give it a good stir and pop the lid back on. Leave to cook on high for another 2.
– Once your 2 hours is up, grab a pan and flick the element on to a low-medium heat. Tip the contents of your crockpot into the pan and reduce any excess liquid. Give it a good stir every now and again to make sure nothing sticks to the bottom.
– Let it cool down then transfer to a clean airtight container or jar! Caramelised Onion Jam will last in the fridge for up to a week or you can portion it out into smaller containers/jars and pop them into the freezer!
Have Snapchat? We would love for you to come hang with us over at @heylittlesweets or on Facebook and Instagram
Tags : JAMS, CHUTNEYS & PRESERVES