I’m trying to get us back on a “mostly vege diet” because we both love the way our bodies feel when we’re eating mostly vegetarian. You might think that these Spinach and Cabbage Fritters with Garlic Yoghurt Dipping Sauce sound a tad weird but I promise you, they’re bloody amazing and a great source of fibre! Nick isn’t a big fan of the ole’ cabbage but he devours these without hesitation every single time.
Between the spinach and cabbage, you’ll get a dose of Vitamin A, B6, C and K as well as iron, manganese, choline, magnesium, phosphorus, calcium and a whole range of other nutrients! Why would you not want to eat em’ on the nutrient factor alone??!
Spinach and Cabbage Fritters with Garlic Yoghurt Dipping Sauce are super quick and easy to whip up, are amazing on their own, as a side dish or with a poached egg and a little bit of bacon on top if you’re not trying to eat mostly vege! While they’re best freshly cooked, you can make them ahead of time, pop them in the fridge and warm them up in the microwave when you’re ready to eat!
What you’ll need
for the fritters
– 1/2 small savoy cabbage, shredded
– 2 good handfuls of spinach leaves, shredded
– 1 spring onion, sliced
– 2 TBSP plain flour
– 4 eggs
– 1 TBSP soy sauce
– a good dash of black pepper to season
– olive, coconut or rice bran oil for frying
for the sauce
– 200mls plain greek yoghurt
– 1 tsp crushed garlic
– sea salt and ground black pepper to season
What to do
– To make your dipping sauce, add the yoghurt and crushed garlic to a bowl and mix. Season with salt and pepper, mix again, cover with cling film and pop it into the fridge.
– Grab a big bowl and add in your cabbage, spring onion, spinach and flour. Mix until well combined.
– In a smaller bowl, whisk together your eggs, soy sauce and black pepper. Add this to your cabbage mix and mix until well.
– Turn the element on to a medium high heat and heat your oil in a large frying pan.
– Drop heaped TBSP of your cabbage/spinach mixture into the pan and flatten with your spatula. You should be able to get 3-4 fritters in the pan! Cook for 1 1/2-2 minutes on each side until nice and golden. Transfer to a plate lined with paper towel to drain off the excess oil. Repeat until all of your mixture is gone.
– To serve, pop a few fritters on ya plate, add a good dollop of your garlic dipping sauce and you’re good to go!