Its Thursday which means that there is less than 48 hours until the weekend! Not entirely sure why I am so excited about it because Nick is on a course all weekend, maybe its just not having the hustle and bustle of the working week! I thought I would make things a little easier for all of us by having coloured rice ready to go for activities.
This is one of her favourite games to play and although it can be rather messy, she has lots and lots of fun helping colour the rice and hunting for the animals. Coloured Rice also makes for a great sensory game for wee ones as they can get their hands in there and squish!
Miss I likes to hide behind the couch and count to 10 while I scramble to hide them all and once we are done with that, she loves to our “cups of rice tea” for us to enjoy.
What you’ll need
– Bag of rice
– Ziplock bags
– Food colouring of your choice (we made orange, green, blue, yellow, pink, purple and red)
– Measuring cup (I use a 1/4 cup)
– Measuring spoon (1/2 teaspoon for every 1/4 cup of rice)
– Baking paper or a tray to let rice dry
– Container or tray
– Miniature animals, trains etc- whatever floats your boat really!
– Utensils for digging- spoons, forks, mini sieves etc
What to do
– Depending on how many colours you want, measure out 1/4 cup of rice into ziplock bags. We made 7 different colours so 7 bags with 1/4 cup in each. You can of course put more in if you wish- just make sure to double the food colouring.
– Add 1/2 teaspoon of food colouring to each bag (or roughly 30 drops if you are using the wee dropper bottles like below). Seal up the bags (make sure they are properly sealed. Learn from my mistakes- rice goes fucking everywhere if they aren’t!!!!!!) and give them a wee squish to mix the colour/s.
– Section up some baking paper (enough for each colour) and pour the rice out. Give it a wee squish to flatten out and let it dry for 1-2 hours.
– Once dry, pour it into a container or tray, hide the animals or whatever and have fun! Its a game that will last for months… or until you run out of rice because its all in the vacuum cleaner!
Have Snapchat? We would love for you to come hang with us over at @heylittlesweets or on Facebook and Instagram
Tags : SENSORY PLAY