We’ve done Pepper & Me Cheesy Muffs and now it’s time for some Chocolate Orange Muffs!
I’m a muff lover from way back and have made a fair few flavour combos over the years. I actually think these are my favourite. They’re moist, fluffy, orangey, chocolatey and oh so freaking delcious. Whats not to love!
I HATE icing anything without a piping bag but these are the kind of muffs you just want to slap icing on and shove in your mouth. They don’t need to be pretty, they’re rustic.
What you’ll need
for the chocolate orage muffs
– 2 oranges
– 100-125mls milk
– 225g plain flour
– 55g dark cocoa powder
– 1 tbsp baking powder
– pinch of salt
– 115g brown sugar
– 150g chocolate chips
– 2 eggs, at room temp
– 6 tbsp sunflower oil
for the icing
– 55g whittakers 62% dark chocolate
– 25g unsalted butter
– 2-6 tbsp water
– 175g icing sugar
– extra orange zest
What to do
– Preheat your oven to 200 degrees c (180 fan force) and line a 12 hole muffin tin with muffin cases.
– Grab a zester or using the small grater thingie part on your grater, zest your oranges and pop the rind into a bowl. Slice em’ in half and juice them into a measuring jug. Top up with milk until you have 250mls in total. You will notice that the milk curdles. This is perfectly normal!!!!! Mix in your orange zest.
– Sift your flour, dark cocoa powder, baking powder and salt into a large bowl and give it a whisk. Add in your brown sugar and chocolate chips and mix until well combined.
– Grab another bowl (sorry for all the dishes!) and lightly beat your eggs. Whisk in your milk/orange mix followed by the oil and give it all a good mix.
– Make a well in the middle of your dry ingredients and pour in your egg/mix/orange/oil mix. GENTLY stireverything together until just combined. DO NOT OVER MIX otherwise you will end up with a dry, stody muff and no one likes one of those.
– Fill your muffin cases 2/3 of the way full and pop those beauts into the oven for about 20 minutes or until firm to the finger prod.
– Leave them to cool in the tin for 5 before transferring to a wire rack to cool completely.
– To whip up your icing, either pop your chocolate and butter in a heatproof bowl over a pot of simmering water and stir unitl melted OR pop the bowl into a microwave and zap for 30 seconds at a time, stirring each time until everything is all melted. Add in 2 tbsp of water.
– Sift in your icing sugar and an electric beater or arm powder, mix until smooth and spreadable. You might find that you need to add a bit more water. Add 1 TBSP at a time until you’ve got the right consistency for muff icing.
– Ice those wee muffs, zest half an orange, decorate with some zest and shove it in your mouth. These will keep in an airtight container for a couple of days.
Have Snapchat? We would love for you to come hang with us over at @heylittlesweets or on Facebook and Instagram
Tags : Muffins