With Easter only a few days away, I thought it was about time I jumped into the kitchen to whip up a batch of Chocolate Easter Cupcakes!
These wee chocolate cupcakes are a tad cute, so super simple to whip up (in fact this is the exact recipe from our Christmas Cupcakes but I’ve just halved it because i’m all about minimum effort!), light and fluffy and bloody delicious!
You can decorate these Chocolate Easter Cupcakes how ever you’d like and if ya don’t want to get all fancy with the piping tip, just smooth on some green buttercream and be like “freshly mowed grass!!!”
What you’ll need (makes 12)
for the chocolate cupcakes
– 115g unsalted butter, at room temp
– 150g caster sugar
– 1 1/2 eggs, at room temp – below is the instructions on how to halve an egg
– 3/4 tsp vanilla extract
– 150g plain flour
– 35g dark cocoa powder
– 1/2 tsp baking powder
– 1/4 tsp baking soda
– 125mls milk, at room temp
for the frosting
– 125g unsalted butter, at room temp
– 250g icing sugar
– 1 tsp vanilla extract (or you could replace the vanilla with a few drops of mint extract for mint chocolate cupcakes)
– 1 Tbsp milk
for the decorations
– mini chocolate easter eggs- I used Cadbury Mini Eggs & Nestle Mini Milky Bar Eggs
– piping bag
– grass piping tip – I used the Wilton #223 tip
– green food colouring
– sprinkles for the middle
What to do
to make your chocolate cupcakes
– Preheat your oven to 180 degrees c (160 fan force) and a muffin tin with cupcake cases.
– Grab a small bowl and sift together the flour, cocoa, baking powder and soda into a bowl. Give it a wee stir with a whisk or fork to combine. Pop it off to the side.
– Using either a hand or stand mixer, pop the butter and sugar into a bowl and beat for 10 minutes, scraping down the sides every couple of minutes. 10 minutes may seem like a long time but this is what helps give you a light and fluffy cupcake!
– To seperate an egg. Crack 1 egg into a bowl and whisk well with a fork. Take out 2 TBSP to add to your cupcake mix and use the remaining to make a small batch of scrambled eggs for lunch!
– Add in 1 egg and beat, followed by the 2 TBSP of egg you set aside. Add in your vanilla and beat again.
– Turn your mixer down to a slow speed and add in one-third of the flour, followed by one-third of the milk. Repeat until both are in the mix. You’ll want to mix until just incorporated.
– Fill your cupcakes cases 3/4 full (I use an ice cream scoop) and bake in the middle of the oven for 15-20 minutes or until a skewer inserted in the middle comes out clean.
– Leave your cupcakes to cool for 5-10 in the pan before transferring them to a wire rack to cool completely.
to make your icing
– Again, either using a hand or stand mixer, add your butter and vanilla extract to a bowl and whip for a good 5 minutes.
– Gradually add your icing sugar and milk and beat until lovely and smooth.
– Pop in some food colouring and beat until your buttercream is evenly coloured
for the decorating
– Grab your cuppies and take a bit out of the middle either using a knife or a cupcake corer (basically an apple corer!). Fill the middle with sprinkles and pop the lid on top.
– Pop your icing tip into your icing bag and fill with buttercream. Pipe away your grass (if you are a little unsure on how to pipe grass, here is a wee Youtube Video to show ya.), on goes your eggs and BOOM! You’ve got yourself some Chocolate Easter Cupcakes!
Your Chocolate Easter Cupcakes will last for a few days in the fridge in an airtight container. Just bring them out bout 30 mins prior to eating so they can come up to room temperature.
Have Snapchat? We would love for you to come hang with us over at @heylittlesweets or on Facebook and Instagram
Tags : CUPCAKES