I have a fond memory of Chocolate Crackles at most of my childhood birthday parties. Back then, they were whipped up using kremelta (vegetable shortening) which obviously isn’t the healthiest of things! I didn’t want Izzy to miss out on one of my fave childhood treats so she gets to munch on these Healthier Chocolate Coconut Crackles instead!
These Healthier Chocolate Coconut Crackles have the perfect amount of sweet from the honey and an awesome coconutty flavour from both the desiccated coconut and the coconut oil! If you’re wanting to make them 100% refined sugar free, you can swap out the rice bubbles for puffed buckwheat!
- - 100g coconut oil
- - 80g honey
- - 60g rice bubbles or other puffed grain such as puffed buckwheat
- - 60g desiccated coconut + extra for sprinkling if you so choose to sprinkle
- - 3 TBPSP cocoa powder
- - Grab a muffin tray and line the holes with muffin cups.
- - Grab a large bowl and pop in your rice bubbles, cocoa powder and desiccated coconut. Give it a good mix together.
- - Chuck a pot on an element and flick it on to a medium heat. Add in the coconut oil and honey and stir continuously until both have melted.
- - Pour your honey and coconut oil mix into your bowl of rice bubbles, cocoa and coconut and mix until everything is well combined.
- - Divide your crackle mix evenly between your muffin cases, sprinkle with coconut if you wish and pop them into the fridge for an hour to set.
- - Once these little morsels have set, transfer to an airtight container and they'll keep for up to a week in the fridge!
Not only are these a healthier version of the old school chocolate crackles, but it’s a great way to get the kids in the kitchen. This is one recipe where Izzy does most of the work! From stirring the rice bubbles, cocoa and coconut together to mixing it all up once the coconut oil and honey is added and scooping them into their cases. It’s a great test of perfectionist willpower not to make sure they’re all perfectly level!
Healthier Chocolate Coconut Crackles are perfect wee sweet treats to have on hand for the kids after school or as a wee surprise in their lunchbox!
If you’re after a not so healthier rice bubble treat for yourself, you NEED to check out this Salted Mars Bar Rice Bubble Slice!